You can house train your pet that requires patience, consistency as well as commitment. When you bring a puppy to your home, the very first thing you have to do is to put your puppy on a schedule that requires training. You have to take your pet under the process of teaching to go to the toilet in the right place at the right time.
Generally, pets take 4 to 6 months in getting house trained but some dogs might take the time up to 1 year and till then you need to be consistent in teaching and training your pet.
How to begin a pet’s house training?
According to experts, you should start your pet’s training when he lies in age between 12 weeks to 16 weeks. Because at this age, a pet has enough control over bladder and bowel movements. It does not mean that you can’t house train a dog when he is older than 16 weeks. Yes, it might take a long time but don’t worry if you bring a dog who is older than 16 weeks in age. With encouragement and reward, you can easily reshape the behavior of your dog.
Procedure to housetrain your pet!!!
- First of all, keep your pet on an eating schedule and take away any kind of food in between the proper meals.
- Take your dog at the right time on the right spot to do his business.
- Until he is perfectly housetrained, make sure you live with him outside.
- You should take your dog out after his nap and after he takes meals. This is the best way to put him on schedule to go to the toilet.
- When your dog learns something, praise him with a treat. You can also give him something good to eat or can take him on a walk in the neighborhood.
Some additional tips!
- Don’t punish your dogs if any accidents occur when he is on housetraining. Never shout on them or never make a big fuss about it when an accident happens. Even try to give them a treat when your dog learns something.
- Never leave your dogs unsupervised for more than 4 hours, your consistency of teaching helps your dog to learn with ease.